nisse at lysator.liu.se
Sat Jul 7 16:01:09 CEST 2012
I'm happy to annnounce a new version of GNU Nettle, a low-level
cryptographics library. The Nettle home page can be found at
NEWS for the 2.5 release
This release includes important portability fixes for Windows
and MacOS. There are also a few new features.
First a *warning*: Some internal functions have been removed
from the library. Since the functions in question are internal
and not documented, this is not considered a change of ABI or
API. Programs explicitly using any of these functions will
* The function pkcs1_signature_prefix has been renamed to
_pkcs1_signature_prefix, and with slightly different
* The file nettle-internal.c is no longer included in the
library (the features defined there are used by the
benchmark and test programs, and were never intended for
* Support for the salsa20 block cipher, including x86_64
assembler. Originally contributed by Simon Josefsson, based
on the reference implementation, then further optimized.
* Tentative interface for timing-resistant RSA functions,
contributed by Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos.
* A more general interface for PKCS#1 signatures, taking the
input in the form of a "DigestInfo". Suggested by Nikos
* Building of shared libraries (./configure --enable-shared)
is now enabled by default.
* Various portability fixes for MacOS and M$ Windows. A lot of
this work done by Martin Storsjö.
* In particular, Nettle now hopefully works on 64-bit Windows
builds, "W64", including the x86_64 assembly code.
* Documentation and example programs for the base16 and base64
functions. Was contributed by Jeronimo Pellegrini back in
2006, but unfortunately forgotten until now.
* Use an additional table to avoid GF2^8 multiplications in
aes_invert_key (mainly used by aes_set_decrypt_key). Also
tabulate round constants in aes_set_encrypt_key.
* The nettle repository has been migrated from cvs to git,
with a public repository at
http://git.lysator.liu.se/nettle. To make it independent of
the LSH repository, a few files have been moved around.
While at it, files have also been converted from latin-1 to
The libraries are intended to be binary compatible with
nettle-2.2 and later. The shared library names are
libnettle.so.4.4 and libhogweed.so.2.2, with sonames still
libnettle.so.4 and libhogweed.so.2
and soon also at
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.
More information about the nettle-bugs