nisse at lysator.liu.se
Fri Apr 15 21:13:29 CEST 2011
nisse at lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:
> I'm puzzled, because I'm fairly sure I got the test vectors from
> serpent's submission package (I could try to double check that), which
> if I understand correctly ought to be serpent-1. I vaguely remember I
> had some difficulty understanding the organization of the test data,
The files defining these testvectors use an input and output format with
bytes in the reverse order. At the time (2001-06-17, almost ten years
ago), I thought this reversal was part of the cipher operation, rather
than a peculiarity with test programs and test vectors in the serpent
submission package, and incorrectly added byte reversal to the functions
I've now reverted this old change, which means that from now on serpent
in Nettle ought to agree with other implementations. And this naturally
also breaks compatibility for anyone using the serpent implementation of
all (or almost all) earlier versions of Nettle.
I've fixed the serpent-test.c to reverse inputs and outputs for the
testvectors copied from the serpent submission package, and added a few
additional test vectors (from
http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Serpent/) using a sane byte
Credits go to Eli Biham and Lars Knudsen for finally putting me on the
Niels Möller. PGP-encrypted email is preferred. Keyid C0B98E26.
Internet email is subject to wholesale government surveillance.
More information about the nettle-bugs